On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 08:59, Vivek Khera <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Either you believe that IPv6 is coming, or you don't.  I fall in the
> former camp though there are people who believe IPv6 is not necessary.
>  I agree that it will be a long time before there are hosts that are
> IPv6 that are not also visible via IPv4.  That all being said, it is
> important to start gaining experience with IPv6 deployments, and that
> pretty much makes it necessary that your firewall support it as well.
>
> In short, there may not be a strong business case to *need* IPv6
> today, but it is prudent to start exploring it and gaining the
> experience necessary to manage it in preparation for the day when it
> is necessary and when the bulk of traffic flows via it.  The sooner
> the better, I say.

Thanks for a reasoned response - prudence FTW!  I would venture to
guess that most of us fall in the former camp to some extent; I
certainly do, but am still skeptical of the hand-wringing that seems
to happen all too often in our industry.  Guess I've heard (and made)
far too many excuses to be swayed very easily.

As an aside, it would be far easier for 3rd-party developers to add
this and other features themselves if SCM (even read-only) were
available.  Maybe this year?