On Sun, Dec 21, 2008 at 10:34, Michael Schuh <michael.sc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Oh not to understand as "its limit the packets per second", but you get not
> all the time answers from the isps-gateway, because it need proxyarp.

So your particular ISP expected to see the L2 addresses for your
public IPs - they didn't route your subnet to you.  You probably never
saw unsolicited inbound L3 traffic, but if return packets came back
before their ARP cache associating the L3 address to your pfSense's L2
address timed out, you'd see the packets.  Add TCP retries on top of
that, and you see intermittent but slow traffic.

It's possible Lenny is seeing this, but since he's seeing as much
traffic as he is (15kpps), I find it less probable.  Plausible, but
individual streams would likely be much less than the 170Mbps he's
quoting.  It's easily checked for - a packet capture on the test
clients looking for high retransmits will either prove or disprove the
issue.

RB