----- "William Bulley" <w...@umich.edu> wrote:
> Okay, I have enabled logging and added more address to the DHCP
> pool/range.  I think the problem is more basic, however, since I
> am having no problem whatsoever associating with the Soekris.
> My test with a static assignment on the FreeBSD wireless client
> (T42/ath0) failed since the problem is not wireless associativity,
> but it is a more basic networking issue - see below.

I don't have the previous messages quickly available but IIRC you're running
DHCP on your OPT interface which is bridged. IIRC, DHCP on a bridged interface
does not work?

> Recall I have the OPT2 interface bridged to the LAN interface.  And
> I have these (and only these) firewall rules on those two interfaces:
>
> OPT2:
>
>  * * * * * *
>
> LAN:
>
>  * LAN net * * * *

Change that 'LAN net' to a * as well. Just some minor stabbing in the dark
here...

> The WAN interface is unconfigured/unused/disabled (nothing connected
> to sis1 or sis2 since sis0 is the only ethernet link to my local
> LAN).

So in the web interface there is nothing configured at all for the WAN?

> Could it be that I am lacking some important firewall rule on either
> of the OPT2 or LAN interfaces?  Or perhaps some other (default?)
> setting is preventing any ICMP packets from getting out to the LAN?

See comment above. :-)

> <SNIP> Misc routing stuff
>
> Help!  :-)

Since you're simply using this device as a bridge, you should not need to worry
about the routing tables. Only the traffic from the pfSense box itself will
have routing problems, not the devices on the bridged interface. Also, it just
occurred to me that you don't even need to be running DHCP on the pfSense box
if it is in fact bridged. the DHCP server on your m0n0wall device will hand out
DHCP happily to any of the bridged clients as well, assuming the firewall rules
are setup propertly. :-)

> One other thing.  In the tutorials and howto guides on the pfSense
> wiki, any useful examples are collected in some form of Macromedia
> flash external WWW site.  When I tried to view these on FreeBSD
> with mplayer, or vlc, the flash video flashes by in seconds which
> gives me no change to see what is being displayed on any one given
> screen shot.  It seems like this most basic information should be
> presented in two or more formats to give newbies like yours truly
> a choice should one format not match that newbie's toolset.

Flash is a nice presentation format but some of us don't like it either. Then
again, you get what you pay for. :-) Boot up another box (Linux or Windoze) and
redo the tutorial in a PDF or something similar. :-)

> For this reason, I am eagerly looking forward to the new pfSense book!

While not for the same reasons, I'm eagerly awaiting the book as well. pfSense
is incredibly robust and having a nice "all-in-one" reference will be nice.
Plus, it gives everyone a nice opportunity to support the project.

Tim Nelson
Systems/Network Support
Rockbochs Inc.
(218)727-4332 x105