This is my exactly point.... and I have the same experince... a lot of packet losses!!

I misread.
I apologize  :)

Neither way...single, dual, quad port(s) Intel's gigabit NICs will do the job as I stated before.
Sun's gigabit NICs too(intel based).
Although I don't know much about Broadcom's NICs because some are recognized in FreeBSD, others aren't. Don't ever think using Airlink, Encore, Zonet, cheapo gigabit(Realtek based chip)...too much packet loss(well that's my experience).

"Todo el desorden del mundo proviene de las profesiones mal o mediocremente servidas"