It works fine if you set everything up properly, but since many clients will use passive mode by default to get through NAT, you will need to forward a port range for passive mode use and configure your FTP server to use that port range.

Unfortunately, as far as I know there's no (easy, anyway...) way to have the firewall/NAT rules triggered automagically when a PASV request is made, so those ports will always be open to the internal machine, which might cause you other certification issues. I seem to recall that when I was using Linux iptables to do NAT there was an ftp connection tracking module that could do this automatically, but as far as I can tell FreeBSD (or at least pfSense) doesn't have this capability.

Keenan