On 12/11/2009 10:50 AM, David Burgess wrote:
> I've been happily using 1.2.3-RC1 for many months now on a Soekris
> net5501 and a 100GB 2.5" SATA drive. I like the idea of an embedded
> system on a CF card, but that's not possible or advisable for me as
> I'm running the squid and freeswitch packages.
>
> I was wondering however, if it would be difficult, inadvisable, or of
> no advantage to hack together an embedded system to run from a
> read-only CF card that mounts certain filesystems on writable media,
> such as a hard drive, where temp data such as disk cache and audio
> recordings would live.

I've thought a bit about this in the past, and it might be doable in the
future or via some kind of filesystem management package, if someone
were to come up with one, but it isn't something that would be
recommended (at least not yet) or supported.

> I don't know a tonne about the innards of pfsense and I've never
> played with the nanoBSD version. Is this something that would work in
> principle? Would it exploit the benefits of a read-only root
> filesystem

> (cold-reset resiliency,
The moment you have a drive mounted rw, you lose this. :-)

> improved fs security, system
> responsiveness)? Would it require a lot of messing, besides manually
> altering /etc/fstab?

You'd also have to alter the packages (or create appropriate symlinks if
they can be followed by the application) to point those directories or
files at the new storage location. Some packages might have built-in
path settings and you'd just need to change the paths and hit save.
Otherwise, you may need to alter the code for the package.

As with most things, if you want to experiment, it's up to you, but do
so with caution (and plenty of backups) and remember that you'll be out
on a limb without a net to catch you if something breaks.

Jim