I might be missing the boat here, but what about using a 2.5" SSD instead of flash + normal HD? That way you get the benefit of solid state, plus you have the space & performance for a regular file system so you can run all the packages you want. Granted, SSDs aren't the cheapest things around, but it seems like a simpler solution.

I've been considering an SSD paired with a 19" Supermicro case + intel atom that was pointed out in another discussion thread. Besides the cost of the SSD, can anyone fill me in on why an SSD wouldn't be good for running the full version of PFsense with packages?

Seth recomends the relatively small Kingston 40GB ssd, it's based on the Intel controller and should be adequate for your purpose and the speed of it should approach light speed.

However, do keep the partition smaller then the total size of the SSD. This will keep the performance of the SSD quite solid over time, regardless of brand and model.

e.g. 1 32GB partition instead of spanning the full 40GB.
A couple of gigabytes is enough to keep free unwritten blocks the SSD can use for remapping.

30GB of squid cache is a lot though.

Regards,

Seth