On 12/11/2009 12:33 PM, David Burgess wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 10:30 AM, Jim Pingle <li...@pingle.org> wrote:
>> On 12/11/2009 12:22 PM, Paul Mansfield wrote:
>>> can you do overlay file systems on freeBSD, so that the base OS and
>>> config is read-only and you overlay a read-write file system at a very
>>> late stage in booting IF that overlay is uncorrupted?
>>>
>>> when you've made changes to config, if the worst happens simply boot
>>> without the overlay
>>
>> You can with unionfs. I'm not sure how well it's working these days in
>> practice. (As far as being production ready for everyday use as opposed
>> to used in the installer, etc)
>
> Well, it didn't take long for this conversation to go over my head.
> I've got some work to do to learn about overlay filesystems and
> unionfs. I do love a good learning project.

It would probably be much easier to alter only the settings of a package
to point to an alternate storage location. You do not need to keep
/usr/local stuff rw, it typically does not change (especially the binaries).

There may be some system settings in /usr/local/etc/ that might need
carried over, but if you can configure paths for things in freeswitch
like you can in squid, it shouldn't be that hard. Squid would be easy:
Make a new mount point, mount a filesystem, point the cache directory at
/otherdrive/squid/cache/ instead of /var/squid/cache.

Jim