On 11/12/09 15:50, David Burgess wrote:
> I've been happily using 1.2.3-RC1 for many months now on a Soekris
> net5501 and a 100GB 2.5" SATA drive. I like the idea of an embedded
> system on a CF card, but that's not possible or advisable for me as
> I'm running the squid and freeswitch packages.

can you do overlay file systems on freeBSD, so that the base OS and
config is read-only and you overlay a read-write file system at a very
late stage in booting IF that overlay is uncorrupted?

when you've made changes to config, if the worst happens simply boot
without the overlay

if the overlay is good and fine then "push" it down to the base file
system by remounting r/w and copying down.

hope this is clear?

the other choice would be to have two bootable installs on the disk and
rsync one to the when you're certain it's working OK, so you have an
instant fallback

Paul