On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 9:13 AM, Michel Servaes <mic...@mcmc.be> wrote:
> Guys,
>
> What would I need to transport WAN & LAN over one network cable ?
> I was thinking about setting up two VLAN's (but since my cablemodem
> isn't VLAN aware, I guess this setup isn't the right way to go ?)
>
> Basically, I have a cable-tv settopbox, that needs a direct WAN - but
> I only have one ethernetcable to the TV...
> I could install a powerline - but this would take the fun away

I'm not sure I understand fully. You have a pfsense firewall, hosts on
LAN segment(s), and a settop box that wants a public IP address? If
that's the case, I would put a switch on the modem: pfsense gets an
IP, settop box gets an IP, LAN is firewalled.

Otherwise you could bridge an OPT interface (physical or virtual) to
WAN and just connect the settop there.

Did I totally misunderstand the question?

db