> Bear with me, this might become a long explanation. :-)
>
> I think you are making this overly complicated. VLANs are really easy to
> config once you get the hang of it. That said, there are a few different
> ways to set up VLANs, depending on the make and series of the managed switch
> you are using.
>
> There's also a terminology problem here with the definition of the word
> trunk I think.
> The trunking you are referring to is actually 'bonding' which is combining
> several (more than 2) ethernet ports into one big virtual ethernet port, for
> the purpose of failover or greater bandwidth (or both).
>
> You don't really _need_ that kind of trunk in your case. VLANs and trunks
> are two completely different things, but to make things confusing the
> setting you need to set on VLAN ports to 'tag' packets with the VLAN ID
> (We'll get to that later) is called 'trunk' on cisco switches. (the other
> trunking is called bonding on cisco switches)
> You _could_ use it, but for the sake of simplicity I would first test it
> without bonding and see whether you get that running. Afterwards, the setup
> with bonding is similar, since the bonding interface acts as a big virtual
> interface anyway.
>
> For my own network, I usually use VLAN 1 (the default vlan) for my LAN since
> most switches have their management IP address in VLAN 1 by default. This
> way you can manage your switches from your LAN, and this means you don't
> loose a switch port just for managing the switch. On your home LAN, where
> you usually trust your clients, the security risk is neglectable.
>
> Another side note: From your explanation, I'm guessing you have telenet and
> the telenet digicorder settop box. The 10.x.x.x address for the settop box
> you are referring to is assigned by the ISP based on MAC address. They have
> the list of MAC addresses for the settop boxes since they sell them
> themselves. They feed this list into their DHCP servers to assign non-public
> IP addresses  and different gateways to the settop boxes. Any non-settopbox
> MAC address is considered as an internet device and is assigned a real
> public IP address. This is the way they keep both kind of devices apart.
> This also means you cannot use a 1:1 mapping on your pfsense to assign a
> 'public' 10.x.x.x IP to your settop box without messing with fake MAC
> addresses and such.
>
> What I would do in your case:
> (And I have a more or less similar setup running great at home with 7 VLANs)
>
> Switch 1 is at your cable modem. Switch 2 is under your television.
> If not set already, give both switches an IP address in your LAN range, and
> attach it to VLAN 1 (normally the default)
>
> Set up 2 VLANs on both switches.
>   VLAN 1 = LAN
>   VLAN 2 = WAN
>
> Connect both switches to eachother using port 1 on both switches.
> Connect the cablemodem to port 2 on switch 1
> [...]

Hans,

Thank you for your very extensive explanation.
Following this guide, made me understand how this works beyond one
switch - I was able to work VLAN's out on a single switch before - but
to extend it to another switch baffled me at first hand...
It truly works out just as you explained, to every point of the story.

I did use the setup to use 2 cables from the Alix board - just not to
complicate things more...
And yes, it's telenet that I am connected to...

Again, many thanks!