> I'm not sure I understand fully. You have a pfsense firewall, hosts on
> LAN segment(s), and a settop box that wants a public IP address? If
> that's the case, I would put a switch on the modem: pfsense gets an
> IP, settop box gets an IP, LAN is firewalled.
>
> Otherwise you could bridge an OPT interface (physical or virtual) to
> WAN and just connect the settop there.
>
> Did I totally misunderstand the question?
>
> db

I have a pfsense (alix 2d13) - but that's not really a problem (i think).
But reading the comment of Vick - I agree, it might be risky to put
WAN together on the LAN.

The settop box has its own private address range... where my pfsense
gets a public address, the settop box has a 10.x.x.x address. (while
my own LAN is 172.16.x.x).
This way, my provider has it's way to track internet-traffic and
settop-box traffic (since they only count the internet one in our
monthly limit).

Since a new networkcable is practically impossible, I'll assign 4
wires to each (that way I'll be limited to 100mbit - but that's enough
for either settop & other peripherals that resides under the tv)...
I splitted an 8-wire cable before, into two pairs of 100mbit,
succesfully - and reading Vick's comment... i'll jump out of the idea
with vlans :)

Many thanks for the many OT replies (and sorry to put this here - but
searching google, only made me doubt even more)