Am 21.11.2010 03:01, schrieb Chris Buechler:
> A broadcast domain is the layer 2 segregation of the network. If
> you're not using VLANs, and have one switch, you have one broadcast
> domain. The broadcast address is different, but those broadcasts all
> go to every device. In the case of buggy phone firmware maybe they
> don't listen to the broadcast address on other subnets, but they're
> still receiving those broadcasts and still on the same broadcast
> domain.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadcast_domain

Ah, yes, that's right. Technically spoken, of course all ethernet
packages that go through the wire will hit the NICs of the devices
connected to the wire (that's L2). But the logic (= firmware, IP stack)
of the device will only answer those broadcasts that belong to the L3
subnet the NIC is member of. In my case the problem is really the
answering of the phones to the Windows broadcasts which results in a
slow responiveness of the phone user interface.

Regards
Karsten

--
Karsten Becker
Head of Information Technology

Ecologic Institute
Berlin - Brussels - Vienna - Washington DC

Pfalzburger Strasse 43/44 | 10717 Berlin | Germany
Tel. +49 (30) 86880-0 | Fax +49 (30) 86880-100
http://www.ecologic.eu/ | http://www.ecologic-events.eu/

Ecologic Institute publishes a monthly newsletter.

- - -

Ecologic Institut gemeinnuetzige GmbH
GF/Director: R. Andreas Kraemer | AG Charlottenburg HRB 57947 |
USt/VAT-IdNr. DE811963464
'Ecologic' is a Trade Mark (TM) of Ecologic Institut gemeinnuetzige
GmbH, Berlin.