2008/9/29 Ethan Blanton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> Mark Doliner spake unto us the following wisdom:
>> And so I'd like to point out that this decision negatively impacts the
>> virtual hosting provided by Google's Apps.  For example, when I login
>> my [EMAIL PROTECTED] JID using Pidgin, it looks up the srv record,
>> connects to talk.google.com, then presents me with a certificate
>> mismatch warning and asks whether I want to accept or reject the
>> certificate.
>>
>> And I just realized that maybe we should continue setting the connect
>> server to talk.google.com when users create Google Talk accounts
>> within Pidgin (I believe Ethan changed this a few days ago).
>
> I changed it yesterday; the reason for this is that it breaks SSL
> certificate verification for those with gmail.com Google Talk
> accounts.  Why do you think it should be re-enabled?

Because without it Google Apps accounts show the certificate mismatch
warning.  This is, uh, comical.

When I login to talk.google.com as [EMAIL PROTECTED] the certificate
presented is for talk.google.com.
When I login to talk.google.com as [EMAIL PROTECTED] the
certificate presented is for gmail.com.
When I login to talk.google.com as [EMAIL PROTECTED] the
certificate presented is for googlemail.com.

Maybe we should do this:
Only set the connect server to talk.google.com when a Google Talk
account is created that is not @gmail.com or @googlemail.com

-Mark