Hello,

Pidgin is a great application but, in my humble opinion, there are several
areas for improvement.

Rather than just creating tickets, I wanted to run my ideas by the community
and get your opinions and feedback, and since this mailing list is the closest
thing to a 'community' that I could find, I will post them here.

The first item I would like to discuss is the way Pidgin handles buddies on
multiple protocols.  In no particular order:

* The way Pidgin groups buddies can be improved.  Currently there is
insufficient indication on the buddy list that a buddy is grouped other than
hovering and expanding is clunky.  My suggestions are:

1) Display /all/ the protocol icons for a grouped buddy, ordered by protocol
status, greying out those on which the buddy is offline.  Clicking on the icon
should either display the details/status or display a protocol-specific menu.

2) Display an 'expand' control near a grouped buddy instead of having to
right-click and chose 'expand'.

* The selection of which protocol to use for a grouped buddy should be made
more flexible.  Sometimes buddies always appear offline (by choice), other
times they always appear online even when away from the logged-in device.

3) Allow overriding of global protocol priorities per grouped buddy.

* The *conversation* is more important than the *medium* (in this case, the
protocol).  Buddies sometimes use different protocols on different devices
(computers vs phones for example) and in such cases conversations started on
one protocol are often continued on another.
The motivation for the suggestions below stems from the realization that we
cannot control what protocols our buddies choose to use.

4) Display /all/ the protocol icons on the conversation window/tab, ordered by
active and status (similar to #1 above).

5) Allow sending a message on all the protocols (raising the chances that the
buddy will receive it faster).

6) Allow for combining the logs from different protocols for a buddy, either
physically (stored in one file) or during display.  Sort entries by time (UTC
preferred) and optionally indicate protocol.

6a) Allow using a DB (SQLite?) rather than XML files for storing logs

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Thank you,
Alex.