It would be an interesting idea, but I suspect it would be confusing to
non-pidgin users, and wouldn't really be much less confusing because the
other devices/protocols would still receive a "You have a message
pending" notification which could be trivially cleared, so the best that
would (likely) happen is that the recipient would try to pick up the
message elsewhere and be told it was already handled.

Now this implementation could be useful for sending to multiple users in
an on-call arrangement, but, I suspect it would be confusing for typical
non-technical end users who aren't themselves familiar with the feature
in pidgin.

With that being said, what you have described is basically what Facebook
Messenger implemented internally. But they control the service and the
primary endpoints, so they can clear notifications and otherwise make a
useful UX.