I'm recording a concert tonight with a rented ST350.

Usually, I don't check the ST350 before actual set-up, but this time I
did. Probably because the girlfriend was out of town and I could set-up in
the living room... and wanted to check out recording at 192 kHz.

Anyway, the test revealed the the W output is going bad: at least 20 dB
down in output compared to what it should be. I didn't even listen to it
as a change of cables didn't alleviate the problem. So I decided the use
the stereo output for the W by setting it to omni pattern and 0 degree
width in L/R mode.

Connecting to the Left/Mid output, the signal had the right amplitude, but
there was some ground-buzz noise it the signal. The Right/Side output is
free from the noise, so I'll use that one.

I noticed though that decoding to stereo was weird: left and right were
flipped and the stereo pair was pointing in the back of the ST350. Close
visual inspection of some impulsive waveforms revealed that the "new" W
polarity is inverted compared to XYZ.

The question is then: which output as the right polarity (going positive
on high pressure)? From what I can see in the waveforms, I'd say the
B-Format output, but does somebody here knows for sure?

In the meantime, for monitoring purposes, I made a VST plug-in that
inverts the W and applies the -3 dB.

Regards,

Daniel