Helmut Oellers wrote:

Data of "source position and recording room acoustics" would have to be
coded in a transparent and elegant form, and is there any agreement on this?
This looks far from being "trivial"...

Unfortunately, all trivial tasks are solved today. :)  However, this seem
solvable today. MPEG4 would be an appropriates standard, as example.

Mpeg4 has a certain fame to be overly complex. (The multimedia part, which really never was used unless in academic practice, for teaching and student projects...)

However, I think that you have some point. Things could be solved, even if not being trivial. :-)

I would be < still > more worried because of memory space and data rate requirements to store/transmit 32 (PCM?) audio channels...

Still better than WFS, though...     O:-)

Best,
Stefan