From: Stefan Schreiber <st...@mail.telepac.pt>
To: Surround Sound discussion group <sursound@music.vt.edu>
Sent: Mon, January 10, 2011 12:54:58 PM
Subject: Re: [Sursound] 3DAA | Audio Alliance

Stefan wrote-

> The demo consisted of several clips from Avatar, and Kraemer switched between
>conventional 5.1 and 2-channel (front left and right) with the >CC3DA
>algorithm.
>In 2-channel mode, I was amazed to hear sounds appear to emanate from
>different
>distances--objects in the foreground >sounded closer than objects in the
>background. When he switched to 5.1, the entire soundfield immediately
>flattened
>against the walls. As I >remarked at the time, "The 2-channel processed sound
>is
>more surrounding than the 5.1!"

I have the BD (decoded to DTS 4.0) set of Avatar and have been playing it back
via 4.0 Panambiophonics using four speakers.  Some scenes are quite realistic
with sounds clearly audible to the sides and rear.  There are depth cues as
well.   Played in 5.1 most of these cues become inaudible.  There is no mystery
in this.  If the recording has ILD and ITD and you can deliver it intact
without
pinna error problems (as are found in stereo and 5.1) then you have
a lifelike loudspeaker binaural experience or at least you can hear what the
microphones heard (or the panners wanted you to hear.)  This could be true for
original sound tracks made using Ambsionics or WFS.  But Avatar is already
recorded so the trick is to reproduce it properly.  For extreme proximity (bee
in the ear) depth detection one needs to get very high ILD levels but since
Avatar has no closeups like this, extreme methods a la Choueiri are not
required
for this movie and it is much easier just to use four speakers-two
close together frontal (screen width) and two close together at the rear.  No
room treatment required.

Of course, a lot of the sound is just dialog coming from the front center, but
sometimes there is dialog in motion to the extreme side and it is nice to hear
and see that the sound and picture really agree.  The flying things don't
always
agree this way but effects panning is not so easy.  The music has nice depth
and
hall ambience to it and the music stage seems to be maybe 150 degrees wide but
any good classical CD or most live orchestral DVDs will impress more using the
same four speakers.

Ralph Glasgal
www.ambiophonics.org