Jorn:

My question about how it SOUNDS wasn't merely rhetorical.

Presumably, the 3D/AA has embraced "object-oriented audio" in order to a)
abstract from speaker layouts b) reduce number of audio "channels" to 6 or 8
 (i.e. fit into 5.1/7.1 distribution media like Blu-ray) and c) to make
production more streamlined.

If the playback, distribution and production of audio, which -- for  the
first time, as per MAG's wishes -- contains HEIGHT (i.e. is truly
three-dimensional), isn't relatively PAINLESS, then it won't happen.

But how will it SOUND?

If the quality of the resulting 3D surround sounds terrible -- yes, QUAD
comes to mind -- then what a waste of time it will have been.

Is there an Ambisonic and/or Ambi-derived system that sounds really good
that should be considered?

My guess is that MAG would be on that Working Group, if he was still  alive.

Who should be there in his stead?

Mark Stahlman
Brooklyn NY

In a message dated 12/23/2010 10:00:02 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
netti...@stackingdwarves.net writes:

On  12/22/2010 11:59 PM, newme...@aol.com wrote:
> Stefan:
>
>> Was that easy enough?     <g>     :-)
>
> Sure but how does it SOUND??

it sounds  good, without having to jump through too many hoops in the
mixing stage (in  fact, the workflow is a lot more straightforward than
for discrete  multichannel approaches, and another big plus is
abstraction from the  target speaker layout with reasonable up- and
downwards  compatibility.

*.*

personally, i'm not terribly interested in  any pie-in-the-sky attempts
at ambisonic world dominiation - i will  continue to build ambisonic
systems as well as possible, one at a time, and  try to make good higher
order recordings, also one at a time...

i've  had my share of vendor consortium marketing lingo the other  month
(http://auro-3d.com), and i'm not at all inclined to join a  working
group and attend meetings when i could be out recording :) but if  some
ambisonic evangelist wants to take the plunge, i'm happy to provide  them
with empirical backing or arrange HOA  demonstrations.

best,

jörn

--
Jörn  Nettingsmeier
Lortzingstr. 11, 45128 Essen, Tel. +49 177  7937487

Meister für Veranstaltungstechnik (Bühne/Studio),  Elektrofachkraft
Audio and event engineer - Ambisonic surround  recordings

http://stackingdwarves.net