Tue, 26 Jul 2011 10:14:50 +0200,
Jörn Nettingsmeier <netti...@stackingdwarves.net> wrote :

> regardless of room size, they will require a bit of equalisation. if
> the speakers are designed to be close to a boundary surface, the one
> that's not against a wall needs (gentle) bass boost. vice versa, if
> your speakers are designed to be free-standing, the five speakers
> need some attenuation at LF.

The smallest KEF "eggs" should be fine against the walls, as you
already wrote me. Two will be free-standing (front and back) and will
need a bit more electronic correction.

> if you're still shopping for speakers, i found that the genelec 8030
> have a nice built-in bass eq which can be used to deal with this
> issue. i was able to even out the bass response of a rig where most
> speakers are next to two boundary surfaces and a few only next to
> one. of course, you could also do this in software.

I will do it in software. It's a domestic setup, so I don't need
expensive active speakers and cabling; I prefer to use very small
speakers with lamp cords.

> the problem is that your listening room floor reflection will always
> be different from and stronger than the recorded floor reflection,
> which pulls the image towards the speaker circle.

Then less reflections means less localization of the speakers?

> the sad and simple fact is that _no_ surround rig can get the
> distance unambiguously right in any but anechoic conditions.
> and before you run off to shop for styrofoam, be warned that most
> recordings would sound utter crap in anechoic conditions, because
> nobody mixes for that.

What follows is just my opinion.

We are free to record and mix in any imaginable ways, so recordings
sound "imperfect" in most situations. There's little a listening room
can do to beautify recordings and reproduction systems, unless the room
is considered as a musical instrument. Even in a small room with too
much acoustic treatment, I may be pleasantly surprised by some very good
recordings, and find some qualities in some very bad recordings;
anything can happen in the middle, and low expectations is the key to
happiness.

What I expect from listening to ambisonic recordings is a better
envelopment and a sense of realism not found in stereo recordings. I
also expect some new experiences from field recordings and
electroacoustic music for ambisonics. I also want to compare ambisonics
to other reproduction methods; maybe stereo and 5.1 are not so bad...
The other use for all those speakers is to add a bit of hall
reverberation to some dry stereo recordings.

> moreover, the phasing problems of our beloved ambisonic technique
> would become very obnoxious indeed.

Obnoxious phasing problems? Now I'm afraid! ;-)
Maybe I spent decades listening to obnoxious problems I never noticed...
I'll do my best to control phasing problems at the sweet spot.

> the deader you make your room, the more hope you have to get precise
> distance information. at the same time, the rig will sound less
> pleasant and artefacts will become more obvious. since humans suck at
> absolute distance perception anyways, your best bet is to be content
> with some degree of distance discriminination. that is, you want to
> hear the woodwinds _somewhere_behind_ the strings. you wouldn't
> normally care how many metres. this usually works well if the
> recording is ok.

I found good acoustic panels, and I have to decide how much surface to
cover. I once built large and thick panels to cover half of the walls
and 2/3 of the ceiling. There was also a wool carpet with foam under
it. The room was so dead that I was able to listen to my heart beat. I
remember how sharp the stereo image was and how the speakers were not
easy to localize with good recordings. Of course the room was a bit
oppressive, almost like a recording booth... I hope to find a better
compromise between analytic listening and listening for enjoyment.

> when a listening room first reflection is strong and early, it will
> dominate your sense of distance. in that sense, larger rigs have the
> potential to be less intrusive wrt distance perception.

Right: first reflections should be better controlled in a small room.

> > if you're right next to the sound source, the floor
> > reflection will have the longest delay. far away, the delay will be
> > negligible.
> > the general case is
> > dly = 340 / (sqrt(ear_height^2 + half_distance^2) * 2)
>
> minus the straight-path delay of course:
>
> dly = 340 / (sqrt(ear_height^2 + (distance/2)^2) * 2 - distance)

So floor and ceiling reflections also need to be controlled, even more
in a small room. The difficulty is how to leave some harmless
and lively reflections. Maybe that adding a few small diffusors would be
a good compromise.

Thanks!

--
Marc