On 2011-07-27, Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:

my gut feeling had always been that in the presence of HF cues, you can get away with sloppy LF cues (as in, drive all your subs in mono for maximum ooomph, but the kick sound of the kick drum will make sure it's localised properly). maybe i was wrong. or maybe their band-limited noise is just too artificial...

That's my thought as well, but perhaps for a different reason.

This goes back to the debates over whether ultrasonics can actually be heard, and so whether high sampling rates are beneficial beyond double the frequency cutoff of human hearing. Everybody can already agree that sustained ultrasonic sinusoids cannot be heard even unconsciously above some threshold, which lies around 30kHz or a bit over it. But at least to my knowledge, nobody's really settled the question of whether they might be heard in combination with lower frequencies. That is, nobody's ever ruled out the possibility that in addition to linear, frequency sensitive analysis, our ears/brains might be doing something nonlinear that isn't being as consciously heard as a clear pitch, but which still affects, say, spatial hearing. (There is even some evidence in support of this, and certainly we know the auditory system as a whole is very nonlinear at each and every stage.)

The best alternative/nut theory I've heard is that we might do independent, time-domain analysis and between-the-ears correlation for transients, quite regardless of frequency, while in parallel doing frequency sensitive analysis for sustained, spectrally sharp stuff. (There is some evidence for this in early dichotic listening experiments utilizing analog hardware and synthetic impulses reaching beyond 150kHz. They yield directional uncertainty intervals well below what is attainable when utililizing bandlimited waveforms; a telltale sign of nonlinear processing.)

So, is it sure that such processes, if in fact real, couldn't be at play within the audible band as well? That'd for instance mean that frequency dependent phase delays which cannot be heard in steady state would suddenly still show up with transients, in particular in a dichotic/binaural setting.
--
Sampo Syreeni, aka decoy - de...@iki.fi, http://decoy.iki.fi/front
+358-50-5756111, 025E D175 ABE5 027C 9494 EEB0 E090 8BA9 0509 85C2