On 07/26/2011 10:58 PM, Aaron Heller wrote:
Some papers that may be of interest:

<..>
Antje Ihlefeld and Barbara G. Shinn-Cunningham, "Effect of source
spectrum on sound localization in an everyday reverberant room,"  J.
Acoust. Soc. Am. Volume 130, Issue 1, pp. 324-333 (2011)
http://dx.doi.org/10.1121/1.3596476

cheers!

here's a result that surprised me (i had assumed otherwise when trying to predict localisation performance before):

"
In Experiment 2, simultaneous presentation of low- and high-frequency noises yielded performance that was less accurate than that for high-frequency noise, but equal to or better than for low-frequency noise. Results suggest that listeners perceptually weight low-frequency information heavily, even in reverberant conditions where high-frequency stimuli are localized more accurately.
"

my gut feeling had always been that in the presence of HF cues, you can get away with sloppy LF cues (as in, drive all your subs in mono for maximum ooomph, but the kick sound of the kick drum will make sure it's localised properly). maybe i was wrong. or maybe their band-limited noise is just too artificial...

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier
Lortzingstr. 11, 45128 Essen, Tel. +49 177 7937487

Tonmeister (VDT)

http://stackingdwarves.net