On 04/04/2012 00:13, Sampo Syreeni wrote:
..

So why *not* do it, since it's really, really good even on the minimum
four speakers?

Good question. The answer is always given that first order is "not good enough". The perfect really is the enemy of the good, or the better. You could call it "order creep".

..

Unless of course they publish a file format for it....

Want a minimal and purposely highly (even overtly) extensible one? That
I can design. In fact I've meant to do something like this from teenage
up. :)

Please do!

My one (ho ho) mistake with AMB (published 2000) was that is it not extensible (I asked on this list, repeatedly, for what people needed, no response at all); only supports up to third-order. I naively thought that would be enough. I kept it a bit too simple by not adding a version field. And of course for HOA with 24/96 etc it needs a 64bit file format (such as CAF) anyway. Somewhere, people have been (apparently) designing the ultimate handle-everything file format (maybe even using CAF), but as far as I am aware it has not been finalised and published as a formal spec. There was talk of using FLAC, ogg, etc. Everyone argued incessantly about channel naming (people are fed up with WXYZUV etc), ordering, normalization regimes (e.g. getting rid of the traditional 3db scaling on W), embedding decoding coefficients (or was it encoding?) inside the header, all manner of stuff. So I have to wish you good luck...

Richard Dobson