The solution lies in getting the home/spec builder industry to integrate
in-wall loudspeakers at pre-specified locations (including ceiling) in the 21st
century "media room" which room will become the new normal much like the
kitchen has certain de-facto features/standards which are now taken for
granted.  In the fullness of time, multichannel audio in the home ultimately
will prevail because it is the last frontier.

--- On Fri, 4/13/12, Gerard Lardner <glard...@iol.ie> wrote

I ain't objecting to HOA. I'd love to have a HOA system again for normal
listening; I /have/ heard it and agree it is good. But two things argue
against it: 1.) Cost for a home installation. Despite what I wrote in an
earlier message today, it was hard work to assemble even 8 /good/
speakers cheaply. I got them for HOA, but I probably will not use them
for it, at least not for long, because 2) Having lots of speakers on one
room is not compatible with home harmony or with visual aesthetics.
Sadly, that is the killer.

Bandwidth, storage, processing power? Yes, they are all affordable now.
Now we need to find a solution to my point 2 above - and that is not an
Ambisonics problem!

In practice, Ambisonics is most useful as a production tool. Only a
dedicated few will use it in a home environment. Only when the speakers
can be effectively hidden from view without compromising the qualities
needed for Ambisonics and for serious music reproduction will it have
the potential to become part of the home system.