Ronald C.F. Antony wrote:

So who cares about bandwidth and storage? But even if these other issues were
moot, bandwidth and storage remain at a premium, because my iPad holds only
64GB, and the iPhone's music download over 3G or 4G has a rather hefty price
tag.

Yes, but your next iPad will hold 256GB (for example), and if Apple doesn't want to offer this somebody else will do.

But for mere interest: How do you listen to surround on your iPad? Cos this question has to be asked, sorry for my ignorance. :-D

You can listen to UHJ. But as stereo. See former posting.

Best,

Stefan Schreiber

P.S.: Surround reproduction is not related in any form to "cheap hard drives" (????) vs. SSD storage. I am actually tired of reading this stuff about "cheap", "crappy" speakers, "cheap" hard drives etc. Nice rhetorical attempt, but what is the aim of that?