On 13/04/2012 09:07, Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:
On 04/13/2012 03:49 AM, Robert Greene wrote:

While the mode of expression is even more emphatic
than my own, RCFA is to my mind right all up
and down the line. Talking about 3rd order is
just castles in the air. As a theoretical mathematician,
I spend most of my life building castles in the air.
But one ought to know that that is what they are!

you know, for every email you guys write about this tired old topic, i
have _set up_ and _calibrated_ a higher order ambisonic system, and
believe me, that's way more exciting.

can you please stick your heads out the window eventually? it's 2012,
bandwidth is ridiculously cheap, storage even more so [1]. there is
absolutely no valid argument to be made against very high orders indeed
for production and archival.

That's not the point (well, at least, not mine). Out of the many choices available, which type of HOA system have you set up? What decided you on that choice rather than another? And which Higher Order would you choose "as standard" out of the many possibilities available? The closest to a consensus I have seen is third-order horizontal with second or even first-order height.

For production and archival etc, should it be a free-for-all (= "order creep"), or would it be constructive to settle on one specific order (hybrid or otherwise) which everyone agrees to use as standard?

Richard Dobson