On 12/10/2012 18:49, Sampo Syreeni wrote:
..
but we seem to be hitting some interesting ones at last: my latest one
was "ossuary". Why precisely a language should have to retain such forms
and why somebody should inject a word like that into the vocabulary
escapes me. But once again it's pretty as a flower.

Nice example. It is far from being a one-off. We have many words ending in -ary, from which one can see the pattern of meanings:

reliquary
antiquary
aviary
seminary
bestiary
mortuary
library

All come to us from Latin via French - or we invented them following the same roots. And not to be confused with all the words ending in -ory ... and -ery ...

Richard Dobson