Interesting (in its way), looks like a combo of HOA Ambisonic scene description (using multiple HOA streams possibly of different orders) and bandwidth compression; i.e. there is an encoding and decoding device as part of the application, as there would need to be, given that patents ultimately have to describe a device. It is indeed also a file format, which I would not have thought was patentable as such, but maybe anything is possible these days. The description includes in the first paragraph:

"The B-Format (based on the extensible ^iff/wav' structure) with its *.amb file format realisation as described as of 30 March 2009 for example in Martin Leese, "File Format for B-Format ", http://www. ambisonia.com/Members/etienne/Members/mleese/file-format-for-b-format, is the most sophisticated format available today.
"

I guess I haven't played the system well enough - as the person who first published the amb format (not in 2009 but in 2000, in my paper for ICMC Berlin) it would have been a nice addition to my meagre CV to have been mentioned in a patent application. Perhaps I should write to them.

The authors I think are probably known here, their names appear regularly at conferences etc:

KEILER, Florian; (DE).
KORDON, Sven; (DE).
BOEHM, Johannes; (DE).
KROPP, Holger; (DE).
BATKE, Johann-Markus; (DE)

So is this, in fact, the ultimate file format that folk on this list have been arguing for (and over) for so long?

Richard Dobson