I received a message back from Jan-Mark Batke, to the effect they will pass my comments on to the patent authorities. It is classified at this stage as a "disclosure". The four inventors are members of Technicolor, and the new system is briefly featured here:

http://community.calrec.com/?p=8268

It does seem expressly targetted at cinema applications, so it remains to be seen how relevant it may be for musicians etc.

I have (at last) updated by description page for AMB**, and have indeed added a link to the UA description.

Now the attention in previous posts was very much on the phrase "most sophisticated format", which was guaranteed to wind people up; whereas the key word is really "available". The UA format is not really available to ~composers~ to use. The description is very much one for prospective developers - acquiring wavpack, and one way or another implementing all those equations (and apparently creating a WAVE file with a large number of silent channels!). The clue is for example in the observation on that website that no player is currently available; and when someone comments positively on a piece of yours, you are obliged to suggest they decode the file themselves, but "Unfortunately, getting the software to decode ambisonic stuff is kinda annoyingly painful...".

In short, for any file format to be deemed "available" there ~must~ be some associated application or set of applications that can be used to create, process and render a file. This means also that there must be no political or cultural platform aversions - to be "available" the format must have support not merely in Linux but, arguably much more importantly, in Windows and OS X. Users really do not need, or want, to deal with mathematics or complex configuration steps drenched in jargon. Reasonable defaults must be available, so a composer can launch an app, pan a sound as intuitively as possible, and write the file. And then automatically play it back. And send it to a friend who can also automatically play it back.

To me this is obvious, which is why the publication of the AMB format (1999/2000) coincided with its incorporation in the CDP Multi-Channel Toolkit, which many people have used subsequently to make and publish AMB files.

So until this situation materially changes, while AMB is clearly not the most sophisticated file format ~published~ it may still be the most sophisticated one ~available~. Whatever objections people here may have to AMB (and clearly they are legion), the one thing the Toolkit programs can justifiably claim is that they are not "annoyingly painful" to use. The only challenge, indeed, that they represent to the user is the basic ability to use a command line. I get a nice trickle of emails from people thanking me for their availability; sadly not so many of then go the extra mile and click my Paypal button :-(. So updates and extensions will be infrequent at best. So for those new file formats to become "available" is is down to those who can afford the time; university departments, etc.

Richard Dobson
**http://dream.cs.bath.ac.uk/researchdev/wave-ex/bformat.html