> Unless things have changed a lot, last I checked lossy compression messes up
> phase relationships, and that would be an issue for things like UHJ, which as
> long as portable stereo players with limited battery life (and thus limited
> CPUs), is the only viable, because stereo compatible, distribution format.

> At this point in time, not only is most music listened on mobile devices,
> most music is even purchased on mobile devices, and that's strictly a stereo
> (or maybe binaural) world.

Try this simple experiment.  Take your favourite Nimbus UHJ CD and rip it using
the most evil MP3 encoder you can find .. probably the one built into the
latest Windoz Media Player.

Do this at 256kB/s and also (shock!  horror!) at 128kB/s.  Now listen to the
resultant files on a mobile device.  Then you can pontificate to us on how the
musicality has all escaped and no one is going to find these acceptable.

You can also rip to a WAV file if your mobile device will play these and
compare the MP3s with the 'original'.

This is just testing Ronald's assertion about compressed UHJ on stereo mobile
devices.  I dunno about full UHJ surround decode cos there don't seem to be any
good ones in the public domain.

PS      I expect you to hear ve.eery slight differenes with one MP3 and
probably none with the other.  I won't insist on Double Blind bla bla but you
might find that educational.