On 29 Oct 2012, at 20:56, Stefan Schreiber <st...@mail.telepac.pt> wrote:

> Oh yes, go to Apple and look if they listen to your ideas, and let others do
> their stuff instead of doing some promotion for some "stylish", "fahionable"
> campany offering "super slim" products.

You make my point: they won't listen, at least not at this point in the game.
But that's exactly why it's futile to advocate lab type stuff, and stick with
what's available to the mass market now.
The mass market right now offers exactly two things:

a) stereo audio
b) custom apps though the various app stores.

And that means that any mass market solution must at this point be stereo
compatible and may employ a custom playback app made available through the
various app store channels.

> (Samsung and Amazon sell also a lot of smartphones and tablets, by the way.
> If it i just about numbers, Samsungs sells actually more mobile phones...)

I use Apple as an example, because it's the dominant company in this field,
while the rest are imitators and followers; not leaders. Who sells more devices
also doesn't matter, what matters which devices are used. And if you e.g. look
at the web traffic statistics you'll see how clearly Apple dominates that
field. Apple is also the company with the bargaining power. So if they see
surround as the future, they can make that future happen. Therefore, getting
surround sound into their platform by means of a Trojan horse (like e.g.
putting UHJ-encoded material into the iTunes store) is a start on that path.

> I am really angry about these postings. Look for surround in your local Apple
> store, and if you find somen give us some news about. Otherwise, Apple and
> their "fashionable" products are offtopic. (I don't see any relationship to
> this thread, and even not to this audio list.)

You're angry at reality. I'm not making these things up, nor do they constitute
my ideal world. But I'm willing to face the reality and ask which small steps
can we take to get from here to there by infiltrating what actual consumers
use, rather than being preoccupied with lab experiments and boutique recordings
that cater to a bunch of enthusiasts.
Nobody who matters (i.e. average consumer) is interested in a dorky
head-tracking headphone setup that makes him/her look like a Borg from Star
Trek.
Headphones are accessories that need to be fashionable, because people know
they are going to be seen in public wearing them. That's reality. Get used to
it. That's why stuff like Beats by Dr. Dre sells ("cool DJs have them") and
nobody would want to be caught dead wearing top-notch studio head phones.

Ronald