On 1 Nov 2012, at 22:47, Stefan Schreiber <st...@mail.telepac.pt> wrote:

> Ronald C.F. Antony wrote:

>> You're angry at reality. I'm not making these things up, nor do they
>> constitute my ideal world. But I'm willing to face the reality and ask which
>> small steps can we take to get from here to there by infiltrating what
>> actual consumers use, rather than being preoccupied with lab experiments and
>> boutique recordings that cater to a bunch of enthusiasts.
>> Nobody who matters (i.e. average consumer) is interested in a dorky
>> head-tracking headphone setup that makes him/her look like a Borg from Star
>> Trek.
>>

> I think this is just half-educated. Wasn't the success of the Wii console
> based on some gyroscope/motion sensors, which are build in into the remote
> controller?
>
> Don't have  even many  mobile phones  and  laptops motion controllers?

And what does that do for head-tracking? Do you want to carry your iPhone on
some head-mount?
Looks really stylish, will be a huge market success... NOT!

>> Headphones are accessories that need to be fashionable, because people know
>> they are going to be seen in public wearing them. That's reality. Get used
>> to it. That's why stuff like Beats by Dr. Dre sells ("cool DJs have them")
>> and nobody would want to be caught dead wearing top-notch studio head phones.
>
> Thanks for the education!   :-D
>
> Bayer and Sennheiser still sell more stuff than Dr. Dre. You are welcome to
> buy fashionble products by Dr. Dre, Apfel, or whoever is currently in fashion.

It's not about me, I listen to music on my HD650, but I'm not the market, I'm
an enthusiast. But unlike you, I realize that this isn't the norm, nor would I
wear the HD650 while jogging or working out in the gym, and like it or not,
that's where people tend to listen to music.

> Don't hold your breath for a fashionable Apple TV, though. (I mean the iTV,
> BTW. Apple didn't figure out yet what this actually is all about...    :-X )

I didn't bring that up, you did, but we'll see in the future if they figured it
out or not. But even their current set top box sells in the millions, because
it has tangible benefits in a networked home, allowing content to be streamed
all over the house.

Ronald