Hi Pierre,
   That's a very real approach which has been used quite often in the
past, either with single speakers or even stereo pairs embedded in the
system (cf Thomas Chen's B+ format or the report I did on the system
we used for the Mystery Plays here in York back in the early 90's).
The problem is that the presence of a source that is clearly tied to a
physical speaker rather spoils one of the main advantages of field
reconstruction technologies like Ambisonics and WFS, namely that
individual speakers disappear, i.e. are not perceived as separate
sources.

 If you want sources inside the array without the problems mentioned
then you need to look at something like ultrasonic interference
imaging or time reversal acoustic mirrors, both of which can create
internal sound sources. The latter is related to the techniques used
by WFS or NFCHOA, so probably doesn't meet your criteria of creating a
real sound source, but the former creates a real source. Currently,
afaik, this is only used for LRAD weapons systems
(http://www.lradx.com/) or acoustic spotlights
(http://www.holosonics.com/technology.html) where the ultrasonic
sources are grouped together and generate a beam of audio, but if the
ultrasonic transducers are widely separated but all pointed at a
single spot, the sound source will be at the intersection of the beams
are thus an apparently "sourceless" source.

Finally, just to say that experience has shown that moving sources and
fixed (or slow moving) ones are different. Reasonably fast moving
sources, at least in reasonable dry acoustics, can be made to seem to
"fly past" close to the listener, if both early reflections and
proximity effect are properly simulated, even on low order systems.
Not the same as being able to walk around a source but interesting
nevertheless.

best regards,
               Dave

On 13 December 2012 09:07, Pierre Alexandre Tremblay <tremb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear all
>
> Let me be a little teasy and controversial here:
>
>> Focussing, no matter
>> how it's done, does not create a source.
>
> With that many speakers in a hall, you do happen to have a lot of real
> sources you can use...
>
> It could be amazing to think of a real hybrid system where point-source
> loudspeakers are used when a real point is needed, which is where all fantom
> image systems fail, some of them more gracefully indeed...
>
> My 2 cents.

As of 1st October 2012, I have retired from the University, so this
disclaimer is redundant....

These are my own views and may or may not be shared by my employer

Dave Malham
Ex-Music Research Centre
Department of Music
The University of York
Heslington
York YO10 5DD
UK

'Ambisonics - Component Imaging for Audio'