Dear all, a long time reader chiming in for the first time…

I work at the Orpheus Institute in Ghent, Belgium dealing with the
aesthetic/artistic aspects in Computer music practice. This is to say, that I
leave the technical research for my self and share/expose the
artistic/aesthetic concerns/considerations with my colleagues, who are not (at
all!) dealing with music technology issues. One of my current fascinations is
to expose and present the (illusion of) the transformation of the physical
space over time as a musical quality that is, if not unique, quite relevant in
electroacoustic music. Furthermore, I am working in a series of projects
(controller design, compositions) aimed to bring that quality to the foreground
by means of concert performance. My personal experience as computer music
performer and multichannel arrays has so far been limited to real-time sound
diffusion of fixed media (with and without traditional live instruments in the
nix) and spatialisation of DSP chains over a fixed array (normally quad), like
in Luigi Nono's "A Pierre". Now I am looking to complete a piece for 8
instruments, each one of them generating two 'ghosts', so a 24-piece
'ensemble', so to speak. At this point I would like to kindly ask you your
opinion on different real-time spatialisation systems to generate movement
illusions (height, distance) to add to the straight forward discrete sound
panning into the spatialisation control. The catch? The speaker system that I
have access to is an 8.1 setup, since I am hoping to be able to perform and
record this piece without having to compromise too much in the venue-to-venue
or media transfer.

Thanks for your time, and thanks for the years of good reading!

Juan Parra Cancino
Electronic Music Researcher
Orpheus Institute,Ghent, BE
www.orpheusinstituut.be