On 21/01/2013 17:22, Gabriel Wolf wrote:
Dear Sursounders,

We did standardisation before. AMB has been declared by Martin Leese
seven years ago (if I remember correctly). It has been worked out.

Actually by me, back in 2000, along with the CDP Toolkit which enabled AMB files to be created:

http://people.bath.ac.uk/masrwd/bformat.html

The Ambisonic community sort of discovered it a while later.

..

Ambisonic's problem was, that there had to be an expensive physical
decoder. This changed. Nowadays every 3D audio format needs to be
decoded. Even Dolby realized, that decoding arbitrary speaker feeds is
indispensable to next generation 3D audio.

This is a chance we only have once: Ambisonics being included in a world
wide standard - for free!
But it will not happen magically by itself. This list has so much
manpower. If we are all pulling together, we can do it. It is possible.

Ambisonic's "problem" was that people were happy, a posteriori, to agree that AMB was inadequate, but were unable to agree on what a proper HOA format should comprise, except inasmuch as plain old 3rd order 3D (the maximum AMB supports) was not good enough. I fully expect, if detailed discussion resumes yet again, that disagreements will dominate the dialogue. My personal thought is that the suggestion made for 3rd-order + 2nd order height should be amply sufficient for MPEG's purposes.

Richard Dobson