Hi there -
I did several large  (about 4 acres) walk through  sound installations in
the dome shaped tropical biome at the Eden project in Cornwall . I guess my
application would be very different from yours. I designed the sound
installation in an adjacent dome first - there were the weirdest
reflections ever - for example at certain frequencies the sound pooled and
was louder in one tiny patch on the other side of the building than 3 m
away from the speaker etc etc. When I got it in the main biome it sounded
completely different of course.
The only thing I can advise you is not to go in with a set idea of how your
going to do it but to try different configurations and see what sounds best
once your in there - I know its a pain in the neck but these things usually
need to be tuned to acoustic peculiarities that are impossible to predict.
Its why I always like to have at elast three days before an event to do
this.
You can read about some the installations
here<http://web.archive.org/web/20110719132826/http://www.edenproject.com/come-and-visit/whats-on/heart-of-darkness.php>
Hope this helps !

On 18 February 2013 16:47, Neil Waterman <neil.water...@asti-usa.com> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> Does anyone on the list have prior experience installing ambi-based 3D
> sound into 'dome' shaped replay environments?
>
> Any tips, specifically on speaker placement, approaches, etc.
>
> The problems I am facing include a 12 foot 240 degree partial dome made of
> fabric, an 18 foot 240 degree partial dome using fiberglass and a much
> bigger 40 foot 360 degree full dome in fiberglass.
>
> All of the above will actually be 1/2 domes in the sense they are not full
> spheres, but 1/2 a sphere resting on the ground.
>
> My only prior experience was with a full sphere, fibre dome that was a
> nightmare to put sound into…
>
> One option for the 40 foot dome is to use a central cluster of directional
> speakers, hung in a "chandelier" that would use the dome surface as a
> virtual speaker through reflection, but I have never tried this. My concern
> with this is that the listeners (who will be roughly central in all these
> dome areas) will hear both the direct sound and reflected sound and end-up
> with a confused mess.
>
> For all of these domes there will be an 18" skirt area below the dome that
> could be used for loudspeakers around the periphery - is it better to try
> to beam the sound directly at the listeners position, or perhaps use a more
> diffuse speaker, facing up into the dome face? There will be space to get
> at least one speaker overhead for all configurations.
>
> Regards, Neil

07580951119

augustine.leudar.com