Thanks everyone for the feedback and if you get the experiment to work for you
please feel free to comment via the blog.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/radio3/posts/BBC-Proms-in-Surround-Sound

To provide a bit more detail to the biggest concern within this group, which
seems to be around universality.

When the BBC first started F.M. transmissions most people couldn't receive them
and it took about 20 years for the majority of listening to move from A.M. Does
this mean we were wrong to spend license payers money on F.M.?

Yes, it is frustrating that the adoption of HTML5 and the Audio API & Media
Source Extension within it has been very slow and so far only Chrome and IE11
fully support it. It's also frustrating that the combination of Chrome and
Apple seems to make the audio come from the wrong speakers so people have to
replug. But it's only through content creators making content available using
these standards that the browser makers will be persuaded to implement them.

I would love to be able to offer surround sound radio over the TV but I would
need to pay for the correct data feeds to be created to get the content into
the EPG, without which nobody would find the content. I would need to pay Red
Bee to add the data to the EPG, I would need to pay somebody to get 4 channels
of full bandwidth uncompressed audio synchronously from the Royal Albert Hall
to our two coding and multiplexing centres, I would need to pay Atos to provide
additional capability at those centres to code an audio only surround sound
service and add it to the multiplex and I would need to take bandwidth away
from other services to make space for my new service. With the Commonwealth
Games about to begin, I'm not going to get that bandwidth. And even if I could
do all that, there's no guarantee it would work - from informal conversations
with manufacturers I don't think TVs cope with audio only surround sound
services.

Of course most TVs now are "Smart" TVs with an IP connection and a web browser.
Given that most people who have a surround sound system have it connected to
their TV I think it's important that I find a way to deliver surround sound
radio to the TV and as I can't do it through  the broadcast channels, the
browser is the best bet. Of course the browsers in TVs, set top boxes and
blue-ray players don't yet support HTML5 etc etc yet, but it's only a matter of
time. The beauty of this approach is that once these standards are adopted
within consumer products you will just need to click "play" on a web page on
your TV to enjoy the service.

Some people have commented that we should make a "normal" surround sound stream
available but I'm not at all sure what they mean by this. For live streaming
you need a codec and a transport layer. Our "normal" transport layers Flash and
Shoutcast. Flash won't support more than stereo, Shoutcast can but support for
this is very limited. MPEG-DASH, on the other hand, is rapidly becoming the
standard way to transport streaming media over IP with more and more companies
supporting it.

If anybody would like to set up a demonstration of live streaming of surround
content which will play natively in a browser using different technologies then
please let me know. I'm not using MPEG-DASH to be difficult, I'm using it
because we have figured out how to make it carry good quality surround sound
reliably and play in the browser without third party  plug-ins, and because it
is an agreed standard which is widely supported. If any of you have a better
way of doing that please share it!