> the browser/flash requirement/restriction is your arbitary choice.

> I doubt I am that exceptional as a Linux user in not using browser/flash to
> access BBC content.

> I could even download r3_aaclca.pls with wget look in it and download with
> wget using the long http:// url.

I think we are getting to the nub of the issue. Wanting something to play in
the browser isn't my arbitrary choice, it's how normal people consume media and
I need to test something which will eventually work for normal people.

As where many of the members of this group (and I mean this in the nicest way
and include myself) are not normal - we like to experiment, we use Linux, we
access the streams in ways the broadcasters don't intend us to, we write code.
This experiment isn't for people like us - it is to test something which will
one day allow normal people to access surround sound through the web browser.
That's what the experiment is about - testing MPEG Dash surround through a
browser, because that's a strategic solution which I believe will become
mainstream. It's also about testing the production challenges of one person
creating a surround sound balance and a stereo balance of a live classical
music concert at the same time, because I can't afford to have 2 sound
balancers and I don't like the results from automated upmixing or downmixing.
And finally, and perhaps most importantly, it's about finding out what works
aesthetically and what doesn't when using surround sound from a live classi
 cal concert.

Of course one could devise an experiment which would deliver surround sound to
people who want to use Linux and wget but that would be a different experiment
which I am very happy to leave to others to try.

Rupert