At the risk of marketing (I'm never sure how much is appropriate to send
here? Let me know opinions off list!), you might also want to consider the
commercial Blue Ripple Sound TOA plugins and Rapture3D decoder. The
Rapture3D decoder can handle irregular speaker layouts (though obviously
large gaps between speakers will limit what can be done in those
directions).

BTW, and not yet posted here: the latest release of the TOA Manipulators
adds the "TOA Zoom" plugin, which we think is very exciting. It allows an
entire third order soundfield to be moved around in space (this can also be
thought of as a listener perspective transform). There's a new third order
compressor too.

Best wishes,

--Richard