On 10/15/2015 02:35 PM, Augustine Leudar wrote:
Possibly ambisonics is different - but not all multichannel audio uses
ambisonics - certainly with vbap for example  if your speakers are wide
apart you don't want a big gap when panning between them then  wider
dispersal would be advantageous if the speakers are very close together I
could see it would introduce coloration when the directivity of the
speakers overlapped - with wavefield synthesis the smaller the gaps between
speaker cones the higher frequencies can be succesfully spatialised - so I
guess for wfs more "pinpoint" directivty would be preferred - I may also be
wrong ! For creating true walk around 3d soundscapes with no sweet spot for
me a useful tool would be a driver which would be a sphere which put out
sounds in all directions (360) - because thats how sound often propogates
in real space (eg a twig cracking up a tree will not just put out sound in
the 180/90 degree space on one side) The dispersal pattern of speakers isnt
often considered when building these kind of systems so its an interesting
topic !

Speakers with "narrow dispersal patterns" do not exist. All speakers are near-omni in the bass. What a narrow pattern gives you is a longer throw of the HF, which can be useful in traditional sound reinforcement.

But in massive multichannel environments, overly directional speakers will add up to a muddy, bass-heavy diffuse field. I'd always go for as wide a coverage angle as possible, unless I have to deal with a really huge space. Since you can't avoid off-axis sound, at least make it spectrally balanced.

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier
Lortzingstr. 11, 45128 Essen, Tel. +49 177 7937487

Tonmeister VDT

http://stackingdwarves.net