An interesting site and resource - do hope you don't fall foul of the IP
sections of TTIP when (if???) it is ratified!

    Dave

On 20 October 2015 at 20:17, Richard <zoanne...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi
>
> As some here know i've spent quite a bit of the last five years devoted to
> the accurate decoding of the 70's matrix systems, including SQ.
>
> Decoding SQ is far more complicated than people think and i'm sorry to say
> the two software programs you've been provided links for don't decode it,
> they are so wrong it's hard to know where to start.
>
> I run a blog devoted to the decoding of (almost) all of the matrix systems
> and making avilable high quality decodes of these original surround
> recordings. I don't normally like advertising it like this but if you'd
> care to pop along to it then contact me on the blog's email address if you
> have any questions.
>
> https://dreamingspiresquadarchive.wordpress.com/
>

>   I dont expect them to ever sound as good as an Ambisonic recording,
>   but I bought some SQ-encoded LPs today.  I get pleasant results
>   playing them out of phase with the same on two rear channels at -6 dB.
>
>   My reason for writing is to ask whether anyone here knows what an SQ
>   decoder actually did.  Despite all the BS Ben Bauer spouted when he
>   presented it to the AES in London (or was it the BKSTS?), I seem to
>   recall that it wasnt too sophisticated and perhaps, knowing this, one
>   can synthesize something better than the above in a DAW.
>
>   Thanks in advant for any pointers.
>
>   David

> ---

As of 1st October 2012, I have retired from the University.

These are my own views and may or may not be shared by the University

Dave Malham
Honorary Fellow, Department of Music
The University of York
York YO10 5DD
UK

'Ambisonics - Component Imaging for Audio'