Richard wrote:
The basis for their work appears to be the many inacurate sites
filling the web with 'oh-so' wrong, ill informed inacurate
information.

Well, this subject isn't much of my interests, but at least Stephan Hotto's
decoder claims to use exactly the equations you are citing:

Implemented Decoding Matrixes:

SQ (CBS):
LF = L
RF = R
LB = 0.707 * jL - 0.707 * R
RB = 0.707 * L - 0.707 * jR

http://www.hotto.de/software/quadrophonicmatrixdecoder.html

Apart from that, I don't think see anything very "complicated" about that.
(And I am very baaaaad with mathematics.)

Multipliers mean different gains, the needed phase shifts are simply +/- 90
and +/- 180 degrees. There's plenty of phase-shifter plugins available that do
the job.

Been there, done that in AudioMulch. Worked fine for me.

Now, if you'd like to go the gain riding (logic, as they were called) path of the
analog decoders, that's where I raise my hands.

Eero