Peter Lennox wrote:

Of course, the paradigm that excludes head-tilt - necessary to control for
experimental variables, does mean that the experiment is not representative
(what some people refer to as 'ecological validity') of real-world localisation.
Given that, when I look around the lecture theatre, 40%+ have, at any one time, some head tilting,
and many move their heads (apart from the ones that are slumped forward on their chests), the
"median plane" should not be conflated with "vertical"...:-)
All these students sleeping during lectures - damned, they damage our most elaborated vertical precedence theories!

And the ones who don't sleep, they are actually worse! Because the dynamic head-tilt problems are harder to deal with than the static ones...

:-X

St.

P.S.: Any real-world theory of acoustical localization will have to consider head movements and related "perspective changes".

I bet that most people move their head somehow if they can't determine very well from where some sound comes. (Turning your head to the suspected direction of some < relevant > sound source could be a natural reaction. Biological behaviour pattern?)