Ha!

Yeah maybe elevation was the wrong word,  and I am not very good at maths
either ☺

This talk does remind me of when I first listened to Ambisonics.
Every time I closed my eyes it worked,  but as soon as I saw the speakers,
my brain would pull the sound to the nearest speaker I was looking at.
Now that doesn't happen at all, but I see it happen all the time with new
listeners. The same is true for HRTF, one can get used to it,  even if it's
not yours, as long as there are other cues to back it up. Which in terms of
VR makes a generic one easier to adapt to.
As a consequence maybe there is a cultural aspect to this, which through
widespread use could negate some of the draw backs?
I use Richard Furse's tinted decoder,  and to me it does improve things.

Best

Steve

>> To talk of elevation is only relative,  as pointed out by sleep....
>>

> I was thinking of proposing some "Special Relativity Theory  of Human
Hearing". The (claimed) huge revolution would be that the median plane (of
human hearing) would be seen to be relative to the head orientation of the
human listener or sleeper, not to the earth surface. (The now obsolete
absolute reference, which really never made any sense in this context...)

> However, I couldn't sort out the complicated math behind my theory. (Not
yet!)
> Is  anybody on this  list  who  is about  as competent as David Hilbert
(in math, I mean), and could help me to formulate all the outstanding
equations? (And he/she is not supposed to claim ownership of MY theory
later, I would like to add...    :-D )
> Think only of all the < problematic > reflections and comb filter
effects...

> (In the meantime, I will publish my preliminary insights only on some
Swedish online forum, in Latin.)