I think when you tilt your head - especially up - it allows interaural
level and time differences to come into play that arent normally available
for vertical soundsources. Basically the sound will hit one ear before the
other and louder. We all know thats the case for horizontal sounds - but I
think thats why we tilt our head up too. I suspect floor as well as
shoulder  reflections count !

www.augustineleudar.com