Some animals do not need to do this as much,  as their ears aren't level.
One ear canal is higher than the other. Owls are an example of this.  It
allows them to get elevation cues without tilting quite as much.  This is
also true of some humans,  but a lot lot rarer, but we all have very slight
differences..
Also when the head is only rotated, it will produce timing differences at
the ears,  for elevated sounds ahead or behind.  It is only sounds directly
above or below that don't produce these differences.
This is why a very slight head rotate and tilt (head cock) works so well.
Combined with the comb filtering effect, and differing floor reflections,
one would of thought we could be quite accurate.
To talk of elevation is only relative,  as pointed out by sleep....

Steve