I am not really very structured and gets distracted easily, in this
experiment the final hardware setup is not decided, currently my software
structure thinking is like this.

OSC for the protocol as most available Ambisonics sw is VST's for PC or Mac
and Reaper accepts OSC for controls. If done right OSC does not have a
latency problem. Just remember the speed of data output from the sensor
needs to be set high :-)

Reaper is because I am currently thinking of the binaural conversion
experiments with Ambisonics, there do exist 4 channel vst player software's
more like normal apps when the playback chain is configured for end users.

Or would it be better to use oculus rift syntax for the position messages
to be compatible with VR apps?
Or maybe make it changeable by just loading different software?
With my current WiFi plan maybe the wifi chip should accept oculus syntax
and convert and send OSC to be flexible?

Actually the pico-platinche with the bno055 is nice because it is smaller
than the diy head tracker  and have more free CPU and memory for the
protocol implementation as the sensor with its built in cpu does drift
elimination and calibration.
As far as I know the bno055 is the only sensor with built in calibration
and drift compensation available to hobbyists.

If the communication is serial over USB, tcp-ip over USB or using WiFi or
Bluetooth does not matter so much at this stage.

Bluetooth might be best for platform flexibility, works with phones, PC and
Mac and workable with Linux. But the same is valid for WiFi., and currently
the Chinese Bluetooth module is larger than the WiFi but needs less power.

And I think I have burnt my BT module with 5v and is waiting for a new
one...

Best Regards
Bo-Erik