I had a chance to talk to a Sennheiser rep at BVE yesterday and have an update
on their VR mic. How much of this is gospel, I don’t know, but they seem intent
on reinventing the wheel in many ways.

1) It will be a tetrahedral array: the pictures that some have seen with a
different capsule arrangement are of an early prototype.

2) It will deliver A-Format signals from electret capsules.

3) The current prototype has similarities to the TetraMic in that it uses an
unbalanced cable to a break-out system. The final version will incorporate (I
guess) preamps, powering and balancing in the body of the mic. Connector is yet
to be decided, put my guess is Lemo for size and contact numbers

4) They are in discussion with Rycote over suspension mount and windshield.

5) They are developing their own suite of software. He seemed somewhat
surprised when I mentioned what was already available...

6) Price yet to be decided, but somewhere between UK£1,200 and 1,800, depending
on what finally goes in the kit.

7) Release date September-ish this year (Just in time for IBC, probably.)

Regards,

John

Please note new email address & direct line phone number
email: j...@johnleonard.uk
phone +44 (0)20 3286 5942