Hi,

I have listened to some very nice binaural renderings of a 7th-order spherical
array with 64 MEMs microphones on the top of a custom hard 3D-printed sphere, a
bit larger than the Eigenmike. 64 MEMs would result in an 18dB SNR improvement
for the omni output (all the higher-order signals would still have a
frequency-dependent SNR improvement). The single channel quality that it was
giving was not as high as what I’m getting from the Eigenmike or one of the
Soundfields, but pretty good for most applications, especially in the
telepresence context that was used.

Another interesting fact I heard from the makers was that they got tens of the
MEMs in a batch, and checking them they found small magnitude response
deviations between them, +-1dB. All the electronics were also housed inside in
a very compact FPGA getting the digital signals and converting them to a single
convenient MADI cable. Considering all these, MEMs seem an easy choise for
large arrays. Very high quality recording/reproduction would still require
proper capsules in my opinion, with the trade-off a harder design and effort in
construction.

Regards,
Archontis